Thursday, January 27, 2005

Terminal

“Bhai, kitnee der lagegi?”

"There are no flights departing from this terminal to Bangalore". I was glaring at the Indira Gandhi International Terminal’ Security guard's SLR (Self Loading Rifle) when he said that. "This is Terminal 2. Domestic flights leave from Terminal 1B which is 12KMS from here" he continued. "Ek taxi lelo bhai saab, tees minat mein pahunchoge".

I looked at my watch, 16:23. The Jet Airways flight 9W 811 from Delhi to Bangalore was scheduled at 17:15. I was supposed to check-in at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure.

It took me ten minutes to get a prepaid taxi ticket to Terminal 1B. 16:33.

“Bhai, kitnee der lagegi?”

“Jyada nahi saab, bas bees minat lagegi, lekin traafik hogi tho ganta bhi lag jata hai kabhi kabhi”

For a moment, I wished I was Superman. I could jump out of the taxi and follow the auto-rickshaw which dropped me in the Indira Gandhi International Terminal 2, and smack the driver to death for dropping me in the wrong place, ironically 12 kms away from the right place.

The taxi was easing through the Delhi-Gurgaon NH8. The Construction of the new 6/8 lane traffic over-bridge was increasing the traffic in the area, the driver said.

16:55, twenty minutes to departure. The Indira Gandhi Airport Terminal 1B was crowded. My heart nearly stopped while I reached to the Jet Airways check-in counter and the Ground Crew gave a wierd look at me when they saw the ticket. I thought they were going to say that the boarding was closed. This was the first time I am traveling by flight (although I once traveled in a Cessna – 4 Seater Private Jet of one my family friend from Pondicherry to Coimbatore).

“I am sorry sir, the flight to Bangalore 9W 811 is delayed by 45 minutes. Expected departure is at 18:00 hrs. You could continue for the Security check please”.

After controlling my anxiety and temper after this adventure, I was sipping a coffee which I badly needed. The security check was done. I wondered if they expected to find 50kgs of TNT in that small backpack, that they sent it through the big scan-box (I call it so because I don’t know its name) twice.

One more hour for the flight to depart. I was feeling sleepy rather than excited to get back to Bangalore. I was tired, after the busy day which I haven’t told you about yet.

I guess I will leave that part for my next blog.

1 comment:

Mush said...

Hey Root !!!!

Aaah atlast a post that has minimum of techy jargons !!! By the way , You had been to Delhi !!!! When the hell did you go and come back ???
good post though :-)