Sunday, January 30, 2005

12 degrees C

26th January 2005, "The temperature in Delhi now is 12*C". Captain Anshuman announced over the transmitter, while everybody onboard Jet Airways Flight 9W 812 fastened the seat belts for landing.

I just picked a chocolate candy and did not notice the ear plugs(cotton) when the flight assistant offered a tray full of candies of different flavors. This was to avaoid flying sickness if any.

The flight was losing altitude faster then before and my ears started paining. Thats when i wanted some ear plugs badly. After circling Delhi 4 times due to foggy conditions on the runway, the flight landed at 23:00 hrs. We were late by an hour and twenty minutes.

When I got out of the plane, it was very cold. 12 degrees. In minutes I was going in a pre-paid taxi to Hotel Marina(where my company had a room for me). 20 minutes, and I was in the hotel. 00:00 hrs, I checked in and was disappointed to know that the restaurant was closed. I ended up having two masala omelettes and a coffee. Dinner, I guess.

27th January 2005 08:10hrs

I woke up with a surprise to see the time. Shit ! I am late for the interview. I came here for that.

When I reached the American Embassy New Delhi, it was 09:35, ten minutes ahead of my interview time. After the initial check of documents, I was let inside. I was in a queue, just 4 people ahead of me (lucky me, I have seen people stading till the outside gate of the Embassy in Chennai). The colored female, said a mechanical "Hi" and asked for my passport and application forms.

"Place your left index finger on the scanner please...good"
"Now place your right index finger", "Thank you"

This was for the new procedure of Compulsory Biometric Scanning for all US VISA Applicants.
After 15 minutes of questioning like a rapid fire round, she said with a smile ..


"Your Visa is approved, please pay the Issuance charges at the TT Services counter to your right"

I could see myself in South Beach Miami that moment.

I had nothing else to do after 10:30am, when I went back to my room and checked out at 12:00 noon. I made my way to India Gate and Rajpat, also had a look at Rashtrapati Bhavan(fotos will be sent to Mavs group email soon, anybody else wanna see the fotos email me).

I had a good lunch of Chilli and Podina Parantha and some Chicken Lipatwana in a Punjabi Dhaba, bought Michael Crichton's latest book - State of Fear (which actually is not as intersting as other MC books I have read) at a book shop in Palika Bazaar.

I took an autorickshaw and made my way to the Indira Gandhi International Airport at 15:30pm. I guess you know now what happened later ......


No comments: