Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wendy's

Wendy's - this neon light is the only bright thing outside the Extended Stay America, Itasca in Illinois, USA except for the steady moving traffic tail lamps and the occasional siren of an ambulance or a police patrol. I should add that the Zinger burger at KFC Bangalore, cannot match the Homely Chicken Strips with spicy mexican chipotlee sauce at Wendy's.

Yes, I am in the USA in Wooddale, IL which is a suburb of Chicago. Downtown Chicago is 30 miles from here. I came here on the 16th of September and am undergoing 'training' on the newest version of the product I support, back in the India Support Center.

Lot of things changed - "Aspect Communications and Concerto Software are now one company, Aspect Software". James D Foy, the CEO of my company was happy to announce through the video conferencing equipment while Siddharth and I were the only one standing in the huge cafeteria, dressed completely formally in the room of about 100 who were in denims and sneakers. Man, corporate offices in the US are much different than most in India.

"You can live without a job, you can live without a girl friend, but you CANNOT live without a car" a desi security officer in our Wooddale office commented when we borrowed his desk phone to dial a toll free number to call for a cab from 'All Start Cab Services' at Chicago.

"I am calling from 300, Bauman Court at Wooddale ..." the dispatch desk guy cut me off in a 'Tony Scott' tone and went on "... and you want to go to the Extended Stay America at Itasca ?" He knew very well where we have been going for the past 17 days. We didn't need to tell him where we were going. It is a $10.00 ride between the office and the hotel.

Well, a couple of weeks have passed, I visited downtown Chicago a couple of times in the company of Tony Lama, Tom Lessard, Jay Martarano and Duane Benson who were here for the training. I am hoping to have a nice time next week because my boss says I am going to Miami for atleast a week.

More to come:

The Laundry - an American experience !
Jarritos, Tamarindo - Mexican Rasam ?!

2 comments:

Mush said...

Pics Pics Pics !! I wanna see pics dude .. upload them.. and yea dont forget to take some with the blondes there :-p.. shhh i wont say a word to merc. - kiddin.

Waiting for the "more to come" posts. keep it updated.

harish said...

Hey Josh,
Tough luck that on your first visit to US you have to end up in a desolated place. Good to know you're ending up in Miami. Have a grand finale there!!

Waitin for the Rasam and the Laundry episodes.LOL!!

...and come back soon...Long Time No Dosa :-(